Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Can I marry a sauce?

For Tasty Tuesday I said I was going to make Skinnytaste's Shrimp Creole.
I didn't. I forgot that I already had tilapia defrosted and I didn't feel like driving 5 miles down the road to get some local shrimp. Pathetic, I know.

So, I made Skinnytaste's Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce, and I am SO glad I did. 
This sauce is amazing.
I loved it so much that I couldn't even wait a week to post it for the next Tasty Tuesday.
Andy and I couldn't stop talking about how good it was. This sauce COMPLETELY transforms boring tilapia, and it's healthy!

can you tell how much I loved the sauce? I had a river on my plate, but it made my broccoli taste better!

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
1 (14oz) can light coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
*6 tilapia filets
salt, to taste

Preheat broiler.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic--cook 1 minute. Add pepper and scallions--cook 1 minute. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin--cook 1 minute. Add soy sauce, sugar, Asian fish sauce, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Salt to taste.

Brush fish with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, sprinkle with salt to taste. Place fish on a sprayed baking sheet. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the fish flakes with a fork.

*I only made 2 tilapia filets, but I still didn't reduce the ingredients in the sauce. It just meant that we could douse our fish with this liquid gold. And dip bread in it after dinner. And the left over broccoli. 

*Also, I thought I had some Asian fish sauce on hand, but I must have thrown it out. My sauce was delicious without it. 



2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks amazing! Will be trying this soon...maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had curry paste hanging out in your pantry? haha. I've never had anything with curry before, is that weird? I'd still be interested in making this dish though just because of how much you loved it!

    ReplyDelete