Friday, October 12, 2012

Fall means pumpkin bread and football

Well, hello there.
I'm back. 

If you're a long-time reader(and by "long-time" I mean about a year since I'm still pretty new at this) you know how much I love Fall. If you're a new reader, well, I love Fall. 

And, finally, the temps here in Charleston are lowering and it's starting to feel like Fall. And I'm loving every bit of it. Even standing at the door of my trailer learning cottage every morning greeting my kiddos in the crisp 50* chill is amazing. As long as I have my Pumpkin Spice coffee in hand, I'm one happy teach. Speaking of "learning cottage", I still owe you a "finished product" picture of my room. I'm actually pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's small and isn't perfect, but it's cozy and welcoming which is all I hoped for. I'll get on that picture after I clean my desk :).

Well, speaking of teaching and Fall, a few weeks ago I was completely burnt out and grouchy. I love my job, but you teachers out there know how stressful it can be with all the "extra" stuff that gets piled on our plate. So, what did I do to regroup and recuperate? Took a personal day and baked. What did I bake, you ask? Pumpkin Bread for my wonderful second grade team.

I was so excited to get in the kitchen and bake up some mini-loaves when I realized I didn't have eggs. Simple solution: Drive the 5 minutes to the store to buy some eggs. 
Lazy solution/my solution: Look up a recipe that does not require eggs.

And I stumbled upon this recipe from Joy the Baker. Her version is vegan, mine is not. She uses oil, I used Greek yogurt (hence the "non vegan" change).  Everyone said how much they loved it!


makes 2 loaves, or 4 mini-loaves

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 15oz. can pumpkin puree
1 regular size Chobani apple-cinnamon Greek yogurt 
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Grease and flour loaf pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
In a medium bowl, carefully whisk together pumpkin puree, yogurt, maple syrup and water.
Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and use a spatula to fold all ingredients together. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl well. 
Divide the dough between the 2 loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (30-35 minutes if using mini-loaf pans), or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Let rest in the pans for 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. 

I hope you all are enjoying Fall as much as I am! 

And, I leave you with some images of my favorite thing about Fall...








1 comment:

  1. Yippie for taking a personal day and baking! Sometimes you just need a little break. I've been wanting to make pumpkin bread the past couple of weeks and haven't yet. Once again, this post has reminded me that I need to. Xo

    ReplyDelete